Snoring occurs when something restricts your airflow during sleep. Although a common issue, it can cause significant disturbance and affect personal relationships. Fortunately, professional snoring treatment can help.
Contact Oak Hills Dentistry in Spring, TX, to receive a more accurate diagnosis, explore treatment options, and review cost estimates.
What Is Snoring?
Snoring is the sound created by the vibration of soft tissues in the mouth, nose, and throat as air passes through the airway. When you sleep, throat muscles relax, causing a narrowing of the airway. Breathing through the restricted airway causes snoring.
Long-term or loud snoring may be a sign of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). This potentially serious condition causes breathing to repeatedly stop and start throughout the night, preventing you from getting a decent night’s rest. Snoring treatments can address both OSA and minor snoring conditions.
Why Do People Snore?
Common causes of snoring include:
- Being overweight or out of shape
- Nasal and sinus problems
- Sleeping flat on your back
- Physical attributes (narrow throat, enlarged adenoids, a cleft palate, etc.)
Since men have narrower air passages than women, they’re also more likely to need snoring treatment.
Once Dr. Smith determines that a patient has a snoring problem or OSA, they create an appropriate treatment plan. With extensive training and experience in snoring treatment, Dr. Smith will address the snoring issue while focusing on the root cause.
They may recommend one of several treatments or a combination of different methods depending on your situation. Schedule an appointment at Oak Hills Dentistry in Spring, TX, for a more accurate diagnosis and a review of treatment options and cost estimates.
The treatments include:
As a snoring treatment option, Dr. Smith will first recommend lifestyle changes such as:
- Losing excess weight
- Treating nasal congestion
- Avoiding alcohol close to bedtime
- Getting sufficient sleep
- Avoid sleeping on your back
For snoring accompanied by OSA, Dr. Smith may recommend:
Mouthguards or oral appliances that open the upper airway work effectively as a snoring treatment option. Some appliances work by increasing the area of the nasal passage to enhance breathing.
Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Machine
A CPAP machine supplies constant air pressure through a mask while you sleep. When fitted correctly, it works effectively at treating snoring and sleep apnea.
In severe cases, our professional association with specialists in the Spring, TX, area ensures you’ll have access to optimal care and treatment.
Benefits of Snoring Treatment
Proactively seeking out treatment for snoring offers multiple benefits:
- You’ll sleep better: Snoring treatment increases the chances of consistently getting a better night’s sleep. You’ll feel more well-rested and refreshed when you wake up.
- Improved health: Treating snoring can help improve your overall health and well-being.
- A happier partner: Loud snoring can make it difficult for your partner to fall and stay asleep. Treating snoring allows you and your partner to rest well, potentially improving your relationship.
Contact Us Today
For more information about snoring treatment options and cost estimates or to get a more accurate diagnosis, call Oak Hills Dentristry in Spring, TX, at 281-350-8852!