Oral Cancer Screening, Spring TX
Oral cancer screening helps healthcare providers look for signs of cancer in your mouth. While oral cancer isn’t difficult to diagnose, it has high fatality rates due to late detection.
If you live in Spring, TX, we encourage you to schedule an oral cancer screening at Oak Hills Dentistry. Oral cancer screening is the best tool for early diagnosis and treatment.
Get a more accurate diagnosis, treatment options, and cost estimates by contacting Oak Hills Dentistry in Spring, TX.
What Is the Process for Oral Cancer Screening?
When you schedule oral cancer screening at Oak Hills Dentistry, Dr. Reagan Smith will examine all areas of your mouth, including the gums, soft tissue, palate, and tongue.
Before the screening, you must remove all oral appliances, such as retainers and dentures. This helps to expose every possible area of the mouth and throat that may be prone to oral cancer.
Dr. Smith starts by looking for signs of abnormal tissue, such as:
- Hard lumps or bumps
- Red and white bumps
- Rough patches
- Changes in teeth position
During the oral cancer screening process, Dr. Smith will also examine the face, neck, lips, inside of the nose, and back of the throat. He will look for anything out of the ordinary by touching the head and cheeks around the jaw, inside the oral cavity, and under the chin. Any unusual masses or nodules noted may need further examination.
If Dr. Smith finds an abnormality during an oral cancer screening, he’ll take a sample of the cells for a biopsy. The results of the biopsy determine the best way forward.
Risk Factors for Oral Cancer
Some of the risk factors for oral cancers include:
- Age (People older than 45 have an increased risk for oral cancer)
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) infection
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Gender (men are more prone to getting oral cancer)
- Excessive sun exposure
- Unhealthy diet
- Weakened immune system
- Poor oral hygiene
However, recent findings show an increase in patients diagnosed with oral cancer who have not exhibited a single risk factor. If you have a family history of cancer, schedule an oral cancer screening at Oak Hills Dentistry in Spring, TX, to receive a more accurate diagnosis with possible treatment options and cost estimates.
Benefits of Oral Cancer Screening
Reasons to consider getting an oral cancer screening include:
- It can save your life: Early detection of oral cancer makes treatment easier and increases your chances of surviving. Regular oral cancer screenings increase the likelihood of early detection.
- It’s inexpensive: Your dentist can screen for oral cancer during your regular dental exam, usually at no extra fee. You only need to pay extra when the dentist finds cancer and you need further treatment.
- It’s easy: An oral cancer screening typically involves simple visual and physical examinations. No long, intensive tests.
Contact Us Today for Oral Cancer Screening
Regular oral cancer screening can save your life. Call Oak Hills Dentistry at 281-350-8852 to schedule an appointment and get a more accurate diagnosis, cost estimates, and a wide range of treatment options in Spring, TX.